Thursday, September 22, 2005

Feral Children

I admit it freely: I love watching documentaries and reading stories about weird things. Like feral children.

Let me back track. Before getting our Comcast DVR (I believe what I'm going to tell you actually sealed the deal for me since I was never interested in recording things up until this point), we had no means to record shows. So I would watch my favorite shows as I came upon them. I hardly knew when certain shows were on. I would call myself a casual TV watcher.

One day I was in our bedroom doing something while watching one of those fun home improvement shows on TLC, when TLC had a commercial for an hour documentary on, yup, you guessed it, Feral Children.

I screamed, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

I heard my husband say from another room, "What?!"

I continued, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

He came in. I was all a-flutter. I rambled on about the feral children and how I so wanted to watch the show but it was going to be on at 10pm (I must be asleep before 10pm, if I can help it) and I couldn't watch it and I would have to have my mom record it and I couldn't wait and feral children are the best!

He didn't know what I was talking about. Duh. Come on. Kids raised in the wild? Haven't we all heard of this? Don't we all find this interesting?

I saw my mom later on that day at a baby shower. At some point a couple hours in, I remembered about the feral children show, so I told her she had to record the feral children show for me. This was in front of other people. Someone asked me what I was talking about. No one else seemed to think this was a great show to watch. My husband told me the next day he thought everyone who heard me thought I was a nut.

It took a couple of weeks, but I did watch the Feral Children show (thanks, mom), and while it was interesting, it was a bit disappointing. I couldn't tell real feral from re-enacting feral. I wanted to see the real deal. And I just checked TLC's web site -- it's on again tonight at 9pm! Now everyone can watch.

So today I was perusing SF Gate's blog and what do I find? Another person who enjoys the feral children.

In honor of feral children everywhere, I shall be linking them to my blog.

Now that I have my DVR, I've recorded the Exorcism show on A&E (TLC had an exorcism show on at the same time, those sneaky bastards, and I didn't realize it until it was too late), and Most Haunted, my new favorite spooky show on the Travel Channel. And have you seen 1,000 Things Removed From the Human Body? Oh man. I'm talking an Emmy!

No comments: