Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Finally

I finally finished The Idiot. I think it's been 2 months since I started it, which is an extraordinarily long time for me to read a book. I have to say, the ending actually surprised me. You just never know what them crazy Russians will do.

To counteract my months of reading a literary classic, I am now reading The Broke Diaries by Angela Nissel. I actually started reading it this weekend in preparation for finishing The Idiot.

I read a few pages, put the book down and declared: "I cannot read this!"

My husband asked me why. Basically, if I spend 2 months reading a really weighty book, and then I try to read something that reads like a teenager wrote it, it takes my brain some time to adjust. You go from reading 4 pages just to understand how a character feels about a particular incident to someone who writes "Yo! Doesn't he know I'm broke?" This can be a bit jarring for the brain. But at least it's a fast read.

No comments: