Monday, March 06, 2006

Am I the only one?

I just watched most of Walk The Line, the movie about Johnny Cash.

First off, I'm not a fan of Mr. Cash. I can take some of his songs, and I admit they are good for bar sing-a-longs, but generally I'd rather listen to Donovan than Johnny Cash. At least Donovan sounds a bit happy even though that happiness stems from taking drugs. I think.

Secondly, this movie stinks. It's not a movie. If you take all the singing out, the actual movie part of it would be maybe 45 minutes. That's a TV movie with all the commercials.

I don't get why everyone was saying this was going to win awards. The actors -- Joaquin and Reese -- they did a great job. I'd rather listen to Joaquin sing Johnny Cash songs than the Man in Black himself, and Reese is always a pleasure to watch on the big screen. But now I think Joaquin is having identity issues because of his stint at Folsom prison a month ago, and Reese, well, now that she's won an Oscar, her head might get ballooned up. I predict a divorce from Ryan Phillippe some time soon....

I have yet to finish the movie, which is a good indication in my book that I don't care about it. If you haven't seen it yet, it goes like this:

Brother dies as a young kid, father hates Johnny, Johnny goes into the service, Johnny comes back and marries girl he knew for one month, Johnny starts music career, cheats on wife, takes drugs, divorces wife at some point (didn't get that far in the movie) and marries June Carter. And finally, Johnny dies.

I guess you can't really stretch that out for two hours. Why not fill up the gaps with lots of singing?

No comments: