Sunday, April 30, 2006

PM -- That's project manager to you, peon!

So now I'm an MS Project expert! Okay, not really.

If being a project manager means thinking in percentages and messing with a really ugly application (MS Project), then I'm not so sure project management is meant for me. Yes, I know how to use MS Project. Yes, I can plan a project from beginning to end. But everything else that goes with project management? I'm not so sure. It's just not my brain.

Since some guy stole my seat, I sat all the way in the back. Me and the guy next to me did a lot of internet surfing yesterday vs. paying attention. The difference between him and me was that he actually understood everything so when Oliver asked him a question, he quickly brought up his tiny project and answered the question. When Oliver would ask me, I would just pathetically say, "I'm so lost." I do have to give myself kudos for having a really complicated project scheduled, which I think was my downfall when it came right down to it, because I couldn't adjust my project for all the crazy scenarios Oliver came up with:

Move 1/4 of your buffers down, one resource is 2 weeks late, the budget gets cut by 25%, What would you do?

Uh, quit? Is crying allowed?

No comments: