Friday, September 15, 2006

EKG

Because of my recent feeling faint and woozy experiences that are occurring in the morning, I decided to e-mail my doctor to find out if this was something relatively normal or if I should be concerned. Now that I'm responsible for someone else's life, I'm more willing to seek help than when I was just responsible for my own, and e-mailing her was quite a step for me. Mostly because I figured she'd tell me it's normal, not to worry....unless I really do faint.

I got home the night I e-mailed her to find she already responded. She said dizziness is a side affect of pregnancy, but to be safe, she wanted me to get some blood work done. Oh, and by the way, get an EKG as well, she writes.

An EKG? Don't people who get EKGs have serious problems? Or they're old?

But I actually sucked it up, and I went yesterday to get it done.

I was waiting in the hallway for someone to come out and get me, when Doogie Howser opened the doorway and called me in. Surely he was only bringing me in, I thought. He wasn't going to be the one actually performing the EKG.

"You need to undress from waist up, but you can leave your bra on," he told me. "Put this on, open in the front."

Uh....okay....I thought. This guy looked like he was 18 years old! And he was going to get a look at my ginormous pregnant boobs and my granny bra! Okay, okay...I told myself. You've been through way worse things than this where you had to lose all your dignity, you can let this 18-year old Doogie look at your granny bra.

He came back in and briskly put the sensor things all over my body (including at my ankles, and I hate to admit this, but my feet are way stinky by the end of the day when I don't wear socks -- at least I got him back that way. You get to look at my granny bra and huge boobs, I get to torture you with my stinky skis!). He moved the paper vest thing I was wearing to put sensors down my left side. I was tempted to inform him that I was pregnant, not just a big fatty mcfatster, but then I realized he probably didn't care one way or another.

In fact, he probably has seen about 50 granny bras and boobs and who knows what else by the time I showed up. So when he told me to lay still and not move, I went into my safe place, where I was fully clothed and he wasn't there. One minute later, it was over.

Then he dismissed me. And I ran for the hills!

I caught a slight glimpse at my heart chart thing, but it didn't mean a thing to me.

Now I have to wait until my next doctor appointment to know if I have wacky heart. This is only the beginning of the things I will do for my little Zit.

No comments: