Saturday, October 04, 2008

Book Meme.

I'm happy Kmommy at The Poopie Patrol tagged me for this meme, yet sad at the same time.

Here are the rules:

Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

So. Here's the thing. I'm a very honest person. And so there is a huge part of me that wants to be a stinky liar and walk over to my bookcase and grab the first book so I could participate in this really great meme, but I simply can't do that. Right before checking my e-mail, I had grabbed my Chicago Manual of Style to figure out if I should include a comma after the question mark in this sentence: In response to “How are you?” I tend to say “I’m just dandy.” The answer, in case you are wondering, is no. I can't ever remember this rule, so whenever I write a sentence like this (very few and far between), I have to look it up. I tried looking it up online, but you have to pay to use The Chicago Manual of Style online, so I had to get my lazy butt off the couch, walk over to the kitchen table and grab my book so I could get my answer. After doing this, that was when I checked my e-mail.

So here I am, stuck with just about the most blase book to write this fun meme.

Page 56, 5th sentence:

Whatever style is adopted, punctuation and capitalization must be consistent throughout. Runover lines should be indented three or four spaces.

Abbreviations and their definitions are typed in two columns, the abbreviations, in alphabetical order, on the left and the definitions on the right. Leave two to four spaces between the longest abbreviation and its definition and align the rest of the definitions accordingly.
Even though I'm honest, I think I'm allowed cheat on this one. So I'm going to get the closest to me...and that would be Her Last Death by Susanna Sonnenberg.

Usually she would stay at the Carlyle, a suite, but this time she put her suitcases in my mother's empty room. Meg and Walt left.

Patsy took us to the Payne Witney Psychiatric Clinic, an important name. "At least she's in a good hospital." Everything there was beige and pale and green and ugly. My grandmother kept saying, "Oh, Daphne," as if my mother needed to clean up her room. "This can't keep happening."
So there. I just made up my own dang rules, and I think it's justified.

My five picks to do this fun bookish meme:

Goldfish at On Three, Kids.

Lil' Miss Hissyfit at A Blank Puzzle.

Dolanmomma at The Dolan Weblog.

My sis who, again, has put her blog on lock down, so I really can't link to her and plus, I don't think she would participate because she's really busy right now with twin things and sore muscles.

KENBOT5000 at Smelling a Leather Notebook.

No comments: