Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day two.

Notice I left off the "of my three days alone"?

I was woken up first by my crazy husband a bit before 4am as he was getting ready to go to the gym, and then second by Mateo at about 4:10 am because he was coughing his little head off and sound like a seal.

I thought maybe, just maybe I could get the boy to lie calmly and peacefully and happily in bed with me, especially if I put on some Noggin. I was not ready to be up that early, even though I'm up that early most days, and I was feeling really horrible, and I kept thinking, how am I going to get my butt up and take him to daycare so I can come home and just sleep? Then it dawned on me that what if he is sick and has to stay home with me? How the heck can I take care of him when I couldn't even fathom getting my pained body out of bed, into the shower, dressed and then get him dressed, then drive to daycare, and then drive home?

Well, simple answer is: I'm a mom and therefore, I am super and can and will do it. If I wasn't a mom, I would be bemoaning my existence and rolling around in the bed.

I went into Mateo's room to find he had pooped and was stuffed up and barking like a seal. I cleaned him up and tried my best to get him to rest with me in our bed, but he wasn't having any of it. In fact, it pissed him off so much he refused some milk until he felt the milk drinking was on his terms, and then he promptly fell back to sleep.

And I got to squeeze in another 1.5 hours of sleep after taking motrin.

So today has been all about doing much of nothing, trying to get him to take a nap (he didn't until 2pm) and me writing blog posts because I can only watch so many kid shows. I'm pretty sure he'll be home with me tomorrow, based on his slight rise in temperature, his blah attitude and his barking seal of a cough, but I'll have planned ahead by going newborn old school on him, and showering tonight instead of trying to shower in the morning, so I can get dressed and maybe sneak him out for a little bit to get some fresh air. You never realize how precious a shower is until you have a kid and they decide when you can and cannot shower and get dressed.

At least I managed to do two things off my list: make that holiday-ish dinner and clean one corner of our condo. The rest will just have to wait.

1 comment:

Kmommy said...

You are so right about the shower thing. I found it difficult to shower with just one. With two? Impossible. A shower has become a much sought after luxury.