Friday, October 24, 2008

Let's x-ray his leg. Just to be sure.

Not only has Mateo been sick (but now finally better), but he's been having a right leg issue since Saturday. Off and on he's been limping or suddenly grabbing his leg and wailing and saying something resembling "boo-boo," which he learned from me, thank you very much, because I'm accident prone and recently had some bandaids on my arm, and he thought that was fascinating (aren't bandaids always fascinating?) and wanted to touch them and peak under them to see what I was covering, and I kept saying, "That's Momma's boo-boo." (Notice, Kmommy, my usage of the third person - I cannot, for the life of me, stop doing it, and every time I do, I think about your post.)

So after much dilberation, guilt and a few tears, I called Kaiser, talked to an advice nurse, and she said he should come in. His appointment was yesterday, and I kept thinking his doctor was going to tell me I'm a Munchausen by proxy mom because I tend to overthink a lot of things that have to do with Mateo, more so because I'm a first-time mom and don't have a lick of experience with kids at all and have only nurtured and taken care of animals until we had Mateo. And animals are much easier to take care of. But they sure do throw up a lot more than kids do.

But anyways, I was afraid he was going to be all, "Why are you back? Weren't you just here? What new thing have you come up with?" And I was planning on breaking down crying if he did that, but he didn't. Even though he throws out crazy names for medicine, he's a great doctor.

I announced we were back and explained all the leg issues, including how on Tuesday when Mateo was walking out of the doctor's office and into the waiting room, I noticed for the first time he was limping. Isn't that fun and ironic? Leaving the doctor's office for one thing only to notice something else? And you really can't turn around and say, "Let me back in, now my kid is limping!"

His doctor listened, looked concerned, and didn't even laugh at me when I told him how my husband has Psoriatic arthritis and that we're both slightly concerned this may have passed onto Mateo (he didn't deny this as a possibility, in fact he made a weird noise that was not comforting at all, but said Mateo was too young to diagnose). Then he said "Let's x-ray his leg. Just to be sure."

To be sure of a hairline fracture, that is. Which I learned can happen easily and get infected, all the while the child is still walking and running around because it doesn't limited their mobility at all.

Since Mateo has been a nightmare for days and days, and even though he was acting normal yeserday, my heart sunk when I heard "x-ray." I didn't even know how he could be x-rayed. I can't get him to stand still half the time.

Turns out I didn't need to worry at all, and he was a great boy during the procedure. He was obviously freaked out, but since I was right next to him the whole time, talking to him and telling him he's wonderful (and he is), he just laid on the table, never moved a muscle until it was all over. Talk about being a super duper proud momma. That would be me.

Luckily, Mateo has no fractures and the doctor chalked up his leg issue to a strain that will clear up with time.

As we left the office, Mateo promptly told everyone "bye..." in his baby voice.

3 comments:

Goldfish said...

That's really interesting. My four-year-old complains about leg pain every time he gets any kind of virus. He has since he was about a year and a half old. He got really bad pneumonia in February (was in the hospital for a week and had emergency lung surgery, but that's another story...), and one of the first things he complained about when he was getting sick was how badly his leg hurt. Nobody has been able to give us an answer. But I don't think he's making it up. And sometimes I feel like dr's think I'm nuts for bringing it up (and I'm a nurse!). Anyway.... Interesting. And good for him for being so good!

Nut Nut said...

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to make of the whole thing. As with most kids, he's super active, so I think he probably pulled something. Your comment is interesting because maybe his chest cold had something to do with it. It'll definitely be something we're going to keep watching out for. Emergency lung surgery? Now that's not good. Not good at all. It kills me to think about how much kids go through and they don't even understand everything that's going on.

All I hope is this is the last x-ray session for many years, if at all!

Kmommy said...

LOL :) I can't stop referring to myself in the 3rd person either! :) It's one of the most difficult things to do! LOL

That is interesting about the whole leg hurting when sick, my husband would totally agree w/that one - he gets mysterious pains in strange places and attributes them to some virus or another :)

He probably did just strain it being such an active guy! :) I'm surprised neither of my two little ones have come up with a limp - they are such climbers and both end up with bruises all over their legs! (I think it's due to climbing into the toybox and falling on toys).

It sounds like you have a good dr! And don't worry about going in when you feel necessary! It's much better to go in and have it be nothing than the other way around!