Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Another good reason for a spy camera.

When I entered Mateo's daycare room yesterday, I was greeted by my usual happy little boy, running at me full force to latch onto my legs. As he was running towards me, I noticed something around his waist. It was pink. Pink tulle. It was a pink tulle tutu.

My first thought was: Man, I am so glad I picked him up today and not my husband. My husband was still a tad miffed about the painted fingernail, so seeing his little boy running about with a tutu around his waste might have been too much for him.

Me? Well. I'm not sure how I feel about it, to tell you the truth. I think it's completely harmless. And I don't think kids are necessarily wired to choose a boy toy over a girl toy based on their gender. At least not until they learn to do that. So a tutu is just a thing to put around your body, as far as Mateo is concerned. But then there is this other part of me that's like, nooooooooo. He's a boy! No tutu!!!

I'm torn, as you can see.

But I must admit, if I had my spy camera, I would have taken a picture of him in a very unspy-like manner. Because it was sorta, kinda, just a tad cute.

One of the daycare ladies noticed the tutu as he was running towards me, and she asked the other ladies if they put it on him. They all said no while they were laughing at Mateo in all his tutu glory.

I don't believe that he put it on himself since the boy can't even put his own clothes on or take off his shoes. The most he can do is wiggle out of his jacket. I had a heck of a time getting it off of him, so yeah, I'm fairly certain he didn't magically turn into a self-dresser.

I was informed that the boys tend to like the girl toys more than the girls do. Hmmm. Okay. Since the room has about 12 boys and one girl....

Before leaving, Mateo walked me over to the "dress-up" clothes so we could put the tutu back. If anything, he’s neat.

Today I just hope he's not wearing lipstick.

1 comment:

Kmommy said...

LOL! I probably wouldn't have been able to resist the urge to take a photo! Well, believe it or not I did today - my husband would have been so mad would I have taken a picture :) I crocheted a skirt for my niece who is the same age as my boy D... so of course as she lives 500 miles away I tried it on D to see how well it would fit and how it looked :)
I would also feel completely torn if I walked in and saw my son in a pink tutu! :)