Tuesday, March 08, 2005

BART without iPod: A sad story

I forgot my iPod today. Me without my iPod is like a sundae without whipped cream. It's just plain sad. Luckily, there weren't any reasons to block out anything (conversations or really talkative BART, uh, drivers), so I survived.

When you have your iPod, you not only block out annoying conversations, but you also immediately make yourself invisible. No one will try to talk to you and sometimes, if you listen to your music loudly enough, no one will even want to be near you. This is a great defense against tourists who want to latch onto anyone who knows the BART ropes. Go find someone with free ears and who cares.

The lady sitting next to me going home was one of those sleepers whose head bobs all over the place while their torso remains straight. If you're going to have any type of sleeper next to you, this is the best kind. The worst are those that bob and weave and snort and sometimes fart. There's nothing a stranger's body drifting towards you as they sleep. What's amazing is they never drift the other direction. Well, that's not true. My husband and I were snoozing on a BART ride home from SF, and he was close to falling into the aisle. Luckily, a man walked by him and tapped him on the shoulder and let him know he was ready to fall out of his seat. So I guess it happens. Maybe the key is not knowing the person next to you; if you don't know them, it's okay to lean up against them! If you do, then head for the aisle.

No comments: