Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Nodding off....

I've already mentioned this before -- I hate it when I'm in the window seat on BART and someone sits next to me and nods off. Why? Because most people can't control themselves and end up swaying towards the person sitting in the window seat. That would be me most of the time.

So there I was on the BART train, sitting in the window seat, when this man quickly changed his mind from sitting in the aisle seat on the bench in front of me to the aisle seat right next to me. He flopped himself down, spread his arms and legs out, and began stinking of stinky man's cologne. (I've also mentioned that I'm sensitive to smells.) Oh well, I thought. I'll eventually get used to his smell, and well, he wasn't that big, so his spread-eagleness really wasn't that annoying.

Most of the times I sit with my head cocked to the side with my window seat arm/hand holding it up. By doing this, I can keep a slight eye on the person next to me or just move my eyes slightly away and not notice them at all. I was pretty tired going home, so I head-cocked earlier than normal. The man next to me was reading a magazine, which he continuously flipped the pages of until we hit about 15 minutes into the BART ride. Then the flipping stopped. And then the arm jerk happened (people tend to jerk when falling asleep -- if you haven't noticed it, pay attention). Then the magazine slip happened, which caused the man to wake up and put his magazine away. He sighed and settled into his snooze.

And soon, his body began to sway towards me, then jerk back, then sway, then jerk back. I hate this. It's the most awkward thing to go through because I really don't want to have some stranger leaning against me as they sleep. Nor do I want to inform said stranger of this fact. I want to be invisible girl with my invisible shield of protection from strangers. What I don't get is why they don't sway the other way (I know, arm rest). Sway that way and fall out of your seat for all I care. And there are people who are chronic swayers. And they should realize they are chronic swayers and either fight to the death for a window seat, sit on the handicap bench or just stand up so that everyone else won't have to wonder when the chronic swayers will finally fall on top of them.

Granted, there are a few aisle sleepers out there that can sleep without one single sway. Not sure how they do it. I'm not sure I could do it. I usually have to head-cock towards the aisle; then running the risk of some stranger walking by me and smacking me in the head with a bag or something.

The man finally got off a few stations later. And I was finally free from the swaying.

No comments: