Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Why does this keep happening to me?

I don't know what's wrong with the way I look, but something must be wrong because this was at least the 3rd time, if not the 4th time this has happened to me.

Apparently I need to be saved.

The first time it happened to me, I was totally baffled. I thought it was funny, actually. Until it happened again and again.... I walk down New Montgomery to get to the BART station. This is a pretty populated street (cars and people). The first time this happened to me, it was about a year ago or maybe two years ago, I honestly don't remember. I was walking up the street, just passing the PacBell building, when I noticed two Asian girls walking my way. I don't know why I noticed them, I just did. I probably made eye contact with them (never NEVER make eye contact!!!) or something, but I know if I did, I would have looked straight ahead almost immediately. They passed me by, but then stopped and said "excuse me" in heavily accented english.

So I stopped.

They both were holding some thing in their hands. One asked, "Do you like to go to church?"

I just looked at them.

"We like to go to church!"

They smiled at me. I just looked at them.

"Do you want to go to church with us?"

I just looked at them.

Then I shook my head and walked away.

What the heck? What was that all about? And I noticed them -- and they didn't do this to anyone else, so why me? What was I exuding that they picked up on? My nasty attitude? A dirty look? I called my husband as I continued to walk up the street. He didn't know either. He said maybe I looked nice. Now that's a first -- No one ever tells me I look nice. I'm always told I look mean. I can't help how I look.

Anyway. You would assume this was some bizarre, once in a lifetime thing, but then it happened again. This time it was a single Asian girl, and she basically said the same thing to me. I kinda saw it coming because she did the same thing -- passed me by, then stopped and "excused" me, and then went on her very brief speil about going to church with her. I just walked away in mid sentence. I called my husband that time as well, and he just laughed at me.

And then it happened to me again today.

But today really caught me off guard. And what's even funnier about it is that I was just thinking the other day about this whole thing and how it hasn't happened again. So yes, I essentially cursed myself yet again.

I was walking down New Montgomery when I noticed this long haired blondy walking down the street. Don't ask me why, but I noticed her and quickly looked away. Again, NO EYE CONTACT!!! (Smacking myself on the forehead.) Since she was a white blondy, I was only slightly suspicious when she passed me, stopped and then "excused" herself to me. I stopped and turned around. She was holding something in her hands. She started smiling at me. And then in some broken Scandinavian accent she said something about being Christian (or maybe her name was Christine?). I rolled my eyes, turned around and called my husband to tell him it happened AGAIN!!!!

Now, I won't use this blog to spout how I really feel about this or religion because I've never really been one for that. To each his own, I say. But I'm the very last person on this earth that you would approach on the street to talk about church or religion. The very last person. This is like me going up to these people (and somehow knowing how to find them or which ones they are on the street) and insisting they go to the nearest tattoo parlor with me to get a new devil tattoo on their butts. Or how about grabbing a pint at the closest seedy bar? I mean, come on! Three times this has happened to me?

What I'd like to know is how these foreign girls are getting wrapped into this nuttiness. It's just weird.

And why me??? Apparently my invisible girl shield wears down among the presence of religious folk.

No comments: