Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Friendster

One of my good friends had introduced me to the web site Friendster about a year ago. I decided to sign up for some reason. I tend to sign up to those web sites where you can maybe find people you used to know either to get in touch with them again or read about their lives, with a giggle stuck in your throat because you're doing waaaay better than they are and you didn't like them anyway.

So I signed up to Friendster. I have one friend on Friendster. Yes, that's correct, the one who introduced me to Friendster. I'm very pathetic.

My friend was looking up an ex-boyfriend of hers, which made me think of an ex-boyfriend of mine (I still find it awkward to say that since I've been in a relationship with my hubby for 12 or 13 years). So I looked him up, and low and behold, there he was.

I read his bio, realized nothing had changed, and that he's not married, which is no surprise to me (he had commitment issues....well, I was only 18 at the time, I wouldn't have committed to me either, but hindsight is 20/20).

The other day I started looking up people again, and so I went back to his page. It said he's in my extended network, and since I only have one friend, I found that very interesting. I looked at how we were linked up, checking out different people's pages, wondering if I ever met them at some point. A few searches later, I decided I was done snooping and closed out the site.

A few days after that, I received a friendly Friendster email saying that I can now see who has looked at my page. Yeah, right...I thought. Usually you have to pay for something like that. So I read the email closely, saw nothing about having to pay, and clicked on the link.

That was when my heart stopped.

If I could see who was looking at my page, then that means my ex-boyfriend can see that I looked at his page.

Talk about feeling like a complete boob. Here I am, married for almost 7 years, in a relationship for 12 or 13 years, and looking up an ex-boyfriend who could easily see that I looked him up. Luckily for me, the only two people that have looked at my page is some person/thing named "Business" and some guy named Joel. And from my recollection, Joel is a friend of my ex-boyfriend.

These types of services should cost money! That way I can be pretty sure no one can find me out when I'm snooping!

No comments: