Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Spider + me + car = potential disaster!

Everyone who really knows me knows that I absolutely hate spiders: big, small, hairy, black, brown, clear, doesn't matter -- I don't like them.

I do like fake spiders for some reason. But that's not the point.

Yesterday was like any other day, a day without spiders and screaming -- until I sat down in our car. I am an iPod hog, and my hubby and I pretty much listen to my iPod exclusively when we're in the car together. So the first thing I usually do when I get in the car is plug in my iPod. For some reason I didn't feel like doing it yesterday.

I was just thinking that I should change the radio station, when I realized my hubby was staring at the dashboard where the radio dials were, so that made me really look, and that was when I lost it. A medium-sized clearish brown spider had tucked itself into the CD player slot -- which meant my husband couldn't kill it right away.

I sat in fear, periodically screaming, while envisioning the spider flying out of the CD slot and onto my head where it would bite me and I would die. My husband was trying to eject a CD so the spider would be pushed out with the CD, but the CD player wasn't cooperating with him. I finally couldn't take it anymore (my fear does wonders to my imagination), and I got out of the car and closed the door and waited until he killed the spider.

Luckily, we weren't moving.

This morning we got into the car and took off to the BART station.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have super spider sense, and I can spot one a mile away WITH NO GLASSES/CONTACTS in or see them in my peripheral vision at any given time. I often stop whatever I'm doing (talking, walking, brushing my hair, throwing a rock, doesn't matter), point and start screaming. My spider sense never fails me.

So there we were in the car this morning when I noticed something dangling on the review mirror and of course on my side. Yes, another one of our 8-legged pals. I started to scream, which freaked out my husband who was trying to drive. He grabbed tissue out of his front pocket and tried to squish the little spider devil while not running red lights or crashing the car. I continued to scream because I again envisioned this spider jumping from the review mirror, onto my head and biting me with its fangs. My husband told me to shut up and finally squished it. Squished it DEAD.

I told him I don't want to be in his car anymore since it's obviously filled with spiders. If I see another one on the way home, I'm going to get his car fumigated.

No comments: