Friday, July 28, 2006

I find this interesting

SF Gate had an article about the fabulous "spare the air" days and how BART rides were a free-for-all, oops, I mean were free for whomever put themselves on the train.

Seems us commuters all pretty much feel the same way -- either limit the free rides to commute hours or to just commuters. My biggest complaint is the families, similar to those that go to the mall with everyone in tow who lives in the area and then walk slowly and in wide bunches so you can't get around them, who took advantage of the free rides and also took up all the seats. There was no way it was just a coincidence that those people decided to take a trip to SF with everyone in their family, including small, screaming babies in humungoid strollers. They went because it was free.

The first couple of free says weren't so bad, but as people caught on, it got worse and worse. Going to SF was okay for me since I go so early in the morning, but coming home was a nightmare most of the time. Luckily I was never in a car with a bunch of teenagers acting like young Napoleons and trying to scare the crap out of the normal riders.

So now I'm all for the "free ride in the morning commute, and who cares how you get yourself home in the afternoon" spare the air days like last year. I ride BART 5 days a week; therefore, I get a seat, and I don't care how many small children or old people you've brought with you, you're sitting on the ground.

No comments: