Wednesday, January 03, 2007

No more laying on the floor for me, no siree

Last night I was trying to figure out which DV cord to buy for our new camcorder (thanks mom and dad!), and so I asked my husband to look at the DV outlet (although I know that's not what it's really called) on his hard drive and tell me if it was 4, 6 or 9 pronged. He kept on insisting it was 3 pronged. As far as I could tell, there is no such thing as a 3 pronged male DV cord, so I decided to do the unthinkable: I got on the ground while he shone a flashlight on the opening so I could clearly see it.

Getting down was hard enough, but once I got down there, I realized I wasn't getting back up anytime soon. I'm in my 8th month of pregnancy and I'm huge with several numb limbs and fingers, so the old body isn't working as good as it used to.

I told my husband to just leave me there and to call a nurse when I go into a labor. I'd deliver Mateo right there on the floor, amongst all the dust bunnies.

He said no way, I had to get up.

I flipped and flopped, but there was no way I was getting up off the floor without a forklift. Or a strong husband.

I pushed my upper body up onto my arms and then got my knees under me. He grabbed hold of me and started yanking me up. At some point we were face to face with Mateo in between. Mateo was being squished a bit, so I told him to give him some room. Eventually he got me up. He told me to get rid of all the dust bunnies that attached themselves to me.

So that's my last attempt at getting on the ground, for any reason.

No comments: