Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sudden increase in "free" time.

So I'm trying to get Mateo more used to sleeping in his crib during the day, something he's never really done without a ton of fuss or by a fluke, in hopes when he goes to Kindercare, he'll be able to adjust to not being held as much and being able to sleep in his crib there. I started this two days ago; sometimes we've been successful and sometimes we haven't been, but one thing it's definitely doing is giving me more "free" time.

I say "free" lightly because it's not like I can just run off and leave the little guy (nor would I), and I do have to have the two baby monitors on at all times even though our walls are kinda thin and I can hear him crying regardless of where I am, but I can actually sit in front of the computer and mess around with things without having to stop every 10 seconds to pay attention to Mateo or I can cook dinner without wondering if he's going to start crying or I can actually get ready for the day without trying to get him to sleep first.

I find myself wondering what I should do during this time because I've been on constant baby watch 24 hours a day for the past 3 months. Mateo is also going to sleep earlier at night, around 7:30 pm instead of anywhere between 8 and 10pm, and he's even doing so without much fuss. It used to take us a good hour to get him to the point of sleeping, now it's like 5 minutes. This leaves more "free" time at night for my husband and I to be alone or for me to run off and hide in the bedroom with my laptop while my husband watches boxing or MMA.

He's also sleeping later in the mornings, so I no longer have to take him to bed with me at 4am -- he now continues to sleep in his crib until almost 7am. Which means, ultimately, more consistent sleep for me. Do I love it? Yes! Am I still dead tired by 4pm? Yes!

This sudden change in our routine is odd, but it's also good for all of us. Maybe I'll finish that book now!

No comments: