Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The coffeemaker hates me.

I make coffee every morning when I work from home. I do this after I make Mateo's bottles for the day. We bought a new coffee maker a couple of months ago, and it requires a paper filter, which is different from our old coffee maker and the one at work. So I got the coffee going, went into our room to continue getting myself ready for the day, and that was when Mateo decided he wanted to wake up. It was about an hour to an hour and a half earlier than his normal wake up time.

While I was trying to get him to go back to sleep (ha, ha), I heard the beeper from the coffee machine going off, indicating it was done. Ah, good. Fresh coffee! A working parent's joy.

My plan was to let Mateo loose on the living room floor while I had my first cup of java and started working. His plan was to eat before his belly shrunk to the size of a raisin.

I dropped him off in the living room with his toys, walked into the kitchen, looked at the coffee maker, which was now sitting in a flood of brown liquid.

My brain, at 5am, well, no, anytime at this point in my life, really can't adjust quickly to things that don't seem correct. Like our coffee maker sitting in a flood of brown liquid. Brown liquid with specks of dark brown bits. That sorta look like coffee grounds.

My first thought was, man, our coffee maker is new! What the hey! Why's there coffee leaking from it? How'd that happen? Did I overfill it? Did I put water in the pot after pouring water into the machine? So then it leaked? Does it just hate me and want to complicate my morning more? Because Mateo wants to eat and doesn't want to sleep like he should be doing? And because of those reasons, I didn't wander into the kitchen earlier to notice the brown sludge all over?

And hey, the cord, that's plugged in, is sitting in the water. That creates some morning fun. What do I do? What do I do?

What I did was pull the plug. And I lived to tell this tale. Go figure. Although I did have a fleeting thought that my husband would come home from the gym, to find Mateo lying next to me on the kitchen floor, with big tears streaming from his eyes cause he was so hungry and mommy wasn't doing her job anymore.

Well, it turns out I'm a complete idiot who didn't put a simple paper filter into the filter holder thing and therefor, coffee grinds and water went everywhere. Who knew one simple paper filter did so much?

No comments: