Monday, May 05, 2008

My Mom's Day Wish

I'm prefacing this post with a very loudly stated: I LOVE MY HUSBAND DEARLY. With that said, now I can complain...just a little.

My husband has this knack of never listening to me when I tell him exactly what I want for, oh let's say, Christmas or my Birthday or our Anniversary or Valentine's day and now...Mother's Day. He does a great, grand job of picking out gifts for me that I do love (like my lovely touch iPod, or iTouch iPod or whatever it's called, that I got for Christmas), but when presented with a short or long list of things I do want, like really really want, I never get them. Oh, I'll get them eventually, which is my own doing, but still.

And yes, I know, gifts are from the heart and the person who is giving the gift should be the one deciding on said gift, but come on. Would it hurt him to buy me that $10 book I listed? Every year I put a book on my Christmas wish list, and every year I don't get it, and every year I then go and buy it for myself, along with all the other books I want. But I feel so much less guilty about buying another book to add to my bazillion book collection if he bought it.

Okay, so back to Mom's day. Last year all I wanted was to sleep. This was mostly because I was staying home with Mateo every day and didn't get much sleep because he was still relatively young and had to be fed during the night. I was also breastfeeding, so I was basically the only one who could feed him. I rarely got more than an hour nap because Mateo was on a two hour feeding schedule and it takes me a good hour to wind down and finally fall asleep, no matter how tired I am.

And I did get to sleep. Not as much as I wanted, but that's because I guilted myself into not staying away from my husband and Mateo. Plus I think I wanted to be with them. And sometimes that need is more powerful than taking naps.

This year I asked my husband what I was getting for Mom's day. He said he didn't know, then followed up with "we'll just leave you alone." I said I didn't really want to be left alone.

Later on I told him I knew what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to go to Big Basin. He said, "I don't think Mateo can last that long in the car."

So now I'm hoping he said that in response to me because he has something really fabulous planned. And not just sleeping in and take-out breakfast and being "left alone." I haven't asked him or mentioned anything else I would like to do, so we'll see.

What are your wishes, my dear moms out there?

No comments: