Monday, May 05, 2008

Mom of the year, I tell you.

First I step on Sophia's tail and cause some freaky lump thing to form, a lump I didn't notice for almost a week because she isn't the friendliest cat around these neck of the woods. Upon conferring with my animal advice person (mom), I decided not to drag her back to the vet to become even more nuts.

Interestingly enough, I haven't done a thing to Zoe.

And Mateo?

Today I decided to give him peanut butter. I read on a few web sites that it's okay to do so as long as there aren't nut allergies running in the family. I asked my sister if she gave her boys peanut butter at Mateo's age. She said yes. No nut allergies in the family. Okay then.

Mateo actually ate really well tonight, mostly due to me feeding him from my fork instead of him using his fingers. I think we're ready to buy him his own spoon and maybe a plate or two. He really got a kick out of me putting the food into his mouth. We had such a little dinner time moment together.

Then for dessert I decided to give him a graham cracker piece with a thin spread of peanut butter. He knows what a graham cracker is by sight, so when he touched it and it stuck to him, he was distraught. We took the graham cracker away, and I took him to the bathroom to wash off his hands.

Afterwards he immediately started to rub his left eye. Over and over and over. I'm not sure if he did this before I washed his hands or not, but after the hand washing, that's all he wanted to do. My husband kept saying he was super tired (eye rubbing is one of his signs he's tired and ready for a snooze).

Then we noticed his eye was getting swollen. And red. And closing up. I flushed it out as best I could and put a cold washcloth on his eye socket. My husband was holding his hands so he wouldn't rub his eye anymore. Mateo was not happy.

My husband asked, "What do you think it is????"

I whispered, "I'm afraid to say what it is...."

"What?"

"The peanut butter. He must have rubbed it in his eye. He might be allergic."

Now his eye looked like someone socked him really hard.

I called Kaiser. I managed not to lose it while on the phone.

Long story short, since it was just his eye and wasn't his face or neck or torso reacting, and since he was breathing fine (between cries and wails), the nurse and ER doctor decided he was okay to stay home and we didn't need to bring him in. The nurse said to keep the compresses on his eye and to give him pedialyte or water to flush out anything in his system.

Eventually Mateo passed out from exhaustion. He didn't even care that I was putting the cold compresses on his eye socket. So far, the swelling has gone down a lot, but it's not perfect. We keep checking on him to make sure it's not getting worse.

So yes, I get the mom of the year award. I am one fabulous loser of a mom.

No comments: