Monday, August 18, 2008

A new thing: GIMP

Do you like taking pictures? Do you like altering them or fixing them up to make them prettier than the original? Do you like creating anything that involves pictures but don't have the money to buy Photoshop or something similar?

Ah, I have something for you!

GIMP!

I might be really slow on the uptake on this, but in the book I'm reading, it discusses open source software, which means the software is created by people for free (most times) and anyone can access it for free. One of these is GIMP, and it's very similar to Photoshop. It's been out there for a long while now, and I'm sure GIMP isn't new to most people who are really into techie and computer things, but it's new to me.

I've known about open source software for some time because one web site I visit almost daily, Last.fm, gives its source code out to those that want to tinker with it. I always thought it was odd that they would do this, especially since the web site isn't the easiest one to create with all its functionalities, but now I'm started to realize how great open source software can be. Why not let some smarty mcfarty over in Palau mess with the code to fix some bugs or to add more functions while the engineers hired by Last.fm sit back and work on other plans?

Just think of all the tags people input on Amazon or other sites - don't you realize that Amazon is asking the consumer to work for them - without the pay? Wiki sites do the same. As well as sites that are eager for consumer reviews. We, the public, the consumer, are doing a lot of the work for these web sites. And we do it willingly because we like to express our opinion and we like to feel as if we're knowledgeable enough about some subjects to spout off like some professor. And most importantly, we don't like having to leave the safety of our house to do so.

This is our world now. I hate to use the buzz word, but it's all about collaboration, and in most cases, no one is getting paid.

As usual, I digress....

For those of you shaking your heads, saying, "oh nooooo....I'm not falling for that! I'm not going to download some software with no fee attached!", it really is safe and free and pretty darn neat, if you ask me. I've been wanting to buy a bundled Adobe software package that includes Photoshop, but I don't really have the funds for it at the moment (remember that ticket and traffic school and blinds for the living room post?). I went home Friday night and downloaded GIMP. I've yet to use it because I haven't really had the time to, but I took a quick look at its offering and read a few blog posts about it, and it really does some similar to Photoshop.

For you hesitant people out there, read up on open source software and GIMP. Then go download it. Free is always good.

No comments: