Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's official. My kid is a genius.

I was changing Mateo's diaper tonight (both the new diaper and his PJ shorts were promptly thrown on the ground in glee, per norm, and I'm the really stupid one who doesn't move both these items out of his reach each time we do this), when he surprised me with his genius. I can now add another word to his list, and that makes an official 32 words/phrases. (I think. I'm remembering from the last count when informed my husband of our child's vocab.)

Me: Mateo, stop it! Let me put this on! Stop wiggling!!!

Him: Wooooonnnn? (most words are said as a question)

Me: Huh?

I look, and he's holding up one finger.

Me: ONE! That's right! One...

He holds up his index finger.

Me: TWOOOOO....

He holds up the other index finger while still holding up the first index finger.

Me: Three...

He looks really confused and watches me as I show him three fingers.

Me: Okay, so you don't know three yet. Let's do it again. One....two....

He holds up one index finger and then the other one at the same time.

Bingo. Genius.*

*Okay, I really don't think he's a genius, but still. I am impressed. It's very surreal to hear your kid say "one" and then hold up one finger. Who cares that he doesn't get what one really means. So what if he's been taught at daycare that when someone says "one," he should hold up one finger, and when someone says "two," he should hold up two index fingers. So what?! Leave me alone! My kid's a genius and that's what I'm going to keep telling myself!

1 comment:

Kmommy said...

:) that is impressive! :) Yay!