Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nothing like horrible news on a Sunday morning.

My husband just walked into the kitchen and said, "Do you know who David Wallace or David Foster Wallace, or whatever, is?"

"Yeah?" (Thinking: Why is he asking me this, very odd...)

"He killed himself."

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhahahhhhhhhhahaha!" (This is that noise you make when you suck in your breath and are truly, truly shocked.)

No, I didn't know him personally, and I admit, while I have his books, I haven't even read one yet (I have a lot of books to read and one short life to live). But my reaction to his suicide is one someone would have of a favorite celebrity dying or a beloved political figure.

He was too young. He was too smart. He was too talented. Not to mention how he was to those that knew him personally.

You can read about him here and here.

1 comment:

Kmommy said...

Yes, it's sad news!