Thursday, February 12, 2009

Plumbers know about water, right?

The snake man came today to check our sink drain. I call him the snake man, but really, he's a plumber.

I let him in, and he went to the sink, turned the water on and let it run while he waited. I sat at the kitchen table, pretending to read something while watching him like a hawk in case he tried to steal the boy's graham crackers from the cabinet above his head.

I was feeling slightly embarassed about the condition of our sink and faucet. The faucet is relatively new, but something happened to it where the handle connects to the roller ball of the base, and it's all loosey goosey and you can't just move the handle down to turn the water off. When said new faucet was installed by my wonderful father, he took off a lot of the caulking around the sink and told us reponsible adults to re-caulk it soon.

Yes, it's still in the same condition (worse, actually) as that day.

Because we're so not responsible although we do try.

So there is this plumber who knows sinks and faucets, eyeballing our gross sink situation, and there I am, waiting for him to be done so I could go put my pjs on and start working.

He must have plugged up the sink drain so the water would fill up because I heard the water slopping around as he put his hand in the sink, and then the sound of all the water going down the drain.

"Okay, I'm done," he told me.

"Okay, great," I said.

"I didn't know the water was hot," he told me. "I thought it was warm!"

I looked at him. I mean, what can I say? He's a plumber for poopsake. How could one NOT know water would come out hot if you turned it on and pushed it to the hot side?

"Oh, really? Yeah, it gets hot," I said like a dummy.

He then went on about what they were doing and if I heard any weird noises not to worry and this and that.

He left, and I was left still wondering how he couldn't tell the water was hot or going to be hot. It's like a zookeeper saying she didn't know elephants poop big piles of poop. How could you not know?

And then I wonder: Does my insurance cover him scorching himself with my hot water??

No comments: