Thursday, May 07, 2009

Phooey to the flu, among other things.

So you've heard how the "piggy" flu really didn't do much, and yes, while people have gotten sick from it, and yes two people have died, are the victims (alive and dead) of H1N1 virus any more than the average flu season? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Stupid media and its scare tactics.

I'm also glad the the CDC wised up about telling schools they should close for 7 to 10 days, an action that has caused tons of parents agony because they don't have back-up childcare plans for days upon days during the school year, not to mention the lack of education during that time period, and so I heard some parents were dropping their kids off at the public library and calling it a day. So now the CDC has decided that if a kid gets sick, then the sick kid should stay home while all the healthy kids go to school. Hmmm. Dontcha think?

So yes, that's all over and done with for now until the next scare comes up, which, since it's almost summer, will most likely be shark attacks since nothing else seems to be going on (oh, you know, besides Iraq and the economy falling to pieces and all that fun stuff....).

Enough of all that. Now let's talk about me.

Bunions. Not onions. BUNIONS. They are fun.

My mom has suffered from bunions for most of her life until she got them fixed (or one...can't remember now). I went to the doctor in my mid-20's about my feet because they hurt all the time, and I was told to wear better shoes and I had bunions and sorry, nothing can be done except wearing better shoes.

For almost 10 years I've been wearing what is considered "better shoes," and for almost 10 years I've had foot pain, mostly in my left foot. I have a moderate bunion on that foot, my big toe is slightly turned in, and it really doesn't matter what shoe I wear (or none), my foot will hurt when it wants to hurt and it hurts like the dickens.

I wore a pair of Easy Spirits, or some brand along those lines, a few weeks ago, and for two days after wearing them, I had sharp nerve pains shooting from my foot to my belly and my foot felt like someone broke all the bones on the inner side where the bunion has formed.

I decided enough was enough, and I went to my doctor, who referred me to a podiatrist, who said, "Sure, we can fix that for you, if you want. Just keep in mind it's 4-6 weeks of healing."

My answer?

"I don't care. I want it gone."

So in the beginning of June I am having a bunionectomy performed on my left foot. And I am darn tickled about it.

For fun, I just looked up videos about bunionectomies and found a whole mess of them that show the real deal. Instead of linking to one of those, I'll link to this fun, less than 60 second, beauty: Austin Bunionectomy - Surgical Animation. Go ahead, you're dying to look, I know.

I am no stranger to surgeries, so I'm not worried about that at all, and I'm not even worried about the pain I will be in after the surgery, but I am worried how my family's life will be while I'm recovering. Mateo still doesn't get the connection of "it hurts here" so don't bumrush me and make it hurt more, and he will still bumrush (but that's after inspecting the "hurt"). My husband will have to pick up many of the duties I do day to day. My mom is helping out as well. So my biggest worry is making other people's lives more complicated.

But then I look at my foot or I step down and it feels like the bones are all shifting about weirdly, and I'm okay with the decision again.

Plus I get to lay on the couch and do nothing for a few days except watch TV or read. Can't really beat that. I will finally catch up on LOST and a bazillion other shows I don't have time to watch, plus get some extra sleep plus read without a toddler yelling at me just as soon as I get into what I'm reading. It'll be painful, but worth it on so many levels. So very worth it.

1 comment:

Kmommy said...

Awesome that you are getting the surgery!! Try not to get too bored sitting around ;)