Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How to confuse someone trying to sell you something on the streets.

There I was, merrily walking along the street in San Francisco, listening to a Moth podcast (awesome podcast by the way), when some guy passed me up, stopped, and then said something to me.

"......live here?" he asked.

I took out my ear buds and said, "What?"

".....live here?" he asked again.

Since this is not the first time I've been asked such things while in San Francisco, I assumed he was a tourist and that he was lost. Pretty fair assumption.

"I work here," I told him.

He looked confused.

"Huh? What'd you say?" he asked me.

"I work here. What'd you say?" I asked.

"Do you wear perfume," he said.

"OH. I thought you asked if I lived here!" I said. I quickly followed up with, "No, I don't."

"Do you want a free sample?" he asked.

"No, I don't wear perfume," I said.

"Okay, have a good day," he said.

Now he knows I don't wear perfume, I don't live in San Francisco but I work there, and you could easily attack me because most of the time I'm not paying close attention to my surroundings.

No comments: