Saturday, December 16, 2006

When did I turn into a prude?

Something seriously strange has happened to me in my 30's. The first sign was when I declared Davey Havok from the band AFI is too weird for my taste, but then I soon realized that if I was a teenager, I would be totally into this guy. And the guy from My Chemical Romance bugs me just the same, but I have to admit, again, that if I was a teenager, I would be totally into him as well.

So there we were at our first baby class that goes over pain management, labor, breathing, etc. (first of six), and low and behold, there were two girls in the class with their mothers who looked like they were 18 or less. I had to sit next to one of the girls, who oooooed and ahhhhhed whenever a newborn baby's face was shown on a video we had to watch, while I thought, yeah, that kid's cute, but I still need to figure out my maternity leave stuff, xmas is coming up, I'm deathly tired, I have bills to pay, and two cats that need flea medicine that costs 70 bucks, and oh yeah, how am I going to pay for that? In other words, I don't have a mom sitting next to me figuring out most of that stuff for me while I just giggle and act silly during a prenatal class.

The other girl wasn't so bad, and my husband thinks she was about 20 or so, but for some reason it really bothered me regardless of her age. I think it would have bothered me if I was 10 years younger, but I don't think it would have bothered me as much as it did now. Maybe it's because I'm now going to have a child who, at some young age, could impregnate a girl who is less than 18 and think it's not important enough to be with her at a prenatal class (although, if this did occur, I'd kick his butt up and down that street for 1. allowing it to happen, and 2. not taking care of his own). I'm 32 and I'm freaked out about having my first kid, so how is this girl just sitting there and giggling and saying stupid comments and acting like having a baby that young is the best idea?

Or maybe I just missed something and should have done this ages ago. Uh, yeah. Don't think so.

No comments: