Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Curses to you, elevator!

I left work today like I normally do, which means walking out to the elevators while trying to get my iPod going and my ear buds plugged into my ears so I can block out all outside annoyances. I pushed the "down" button for the elevator, and the green light lit, and the elevator doors opened, and this oblivious girlie blindly walked onto the elevator.

And dropped about 5 inches.

While that doesn't sound like a lot, when you're not expecting it to happen because you're not paying attention to anything except blocking out everyone in the world, and you're stepping onto an elevator that then drops another inch further down because you weigh way too much, then it's a tad bit alarming.

For a split second I had to decide if I was going to get off the elevator because it stopping roughly 5 inches below the hallway floor was a good indication that something was wrong with the elevator, or jump off, look silly and wait for another working elevator.

Aaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddd....then the doors closed on me.

With complete fear that I was going to be trapped in the elevator and look the fool, I pushed the "G" button for the ground floor. I had hope. The elevator began to jerk up and down, up and down, very slightly, but up and down nonetheless. And it didn't stop.

So what does one do when one is in an elevator that's going slightly up and down? Panic? Ah, not this gal. I pushed the "doors open" button.

Miraculously I was not destined to be trapped in an elevator today, and the doors opened up. I got off.

The immediately thought if I pushed the "down" button again, that same elevator was going to open up and so on and so forth and I'd be hiking down 11 flights of stairs. And the idea of hiking down 11 flights of stairs does not make me happy, but I'll definitely take that over hiking up 11 flights of stairs (or 1 flight for that matter). But another elevator opened up, and I got on.

When I got downstairs I called my husband and told him I was almost trapped in an elevator and I was not pleased. I told him the story, and all the while he laughed at me. Then he told me if I go down any escalators today, to be very careful. I informed him that I have vertigo when I go down steep stairways and escalators.

As you can tell, the mere fact that I'm writing this little story means I survived.

No comments: