Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I've got achey ovary syndrome.

Yesterday some lady came in with her baby. Her baby is 4.5 months old, a girl, fully of kicky legs and gummy smiles, small, cute, with twinkly eyes. I stared at her baby for a good 5 minutes, wondering what happened to my baby and was my baby ever like this baby? I honestly don't remember Mateo looking that babyish at 4.5 months old. Even at 3 months old he looked more unbaby than this baby.

And while I've said over and over that I never wanted a girl, now that I have a boy, I'd take a girl. A little girl who was calm and serene and thoughtful, who wouldn't want to get up at the crack of dawn (or before) on the weekends to run around like a wild banshee, oscillating between wanting to sit on the couch with mommy to wanting to lay flat on the play mat, arms neatly tucked under his belly, to wanting banana NOW, that toy NOW, and hey, Zoe, get the heck out of my way, I need to pull down more slates from the blinds!!!

When I was finished staring at the little baby, I started talking to her and smiling and doing all those goofy things adults do to babies to make them smile. I was smitten.

And that's when my ovaries began to ache. When said lady (who, by the way, looks like a twig and like she never gave birth to anything except maybe a peanut) and baby left, I IMed my husband and told him I want another baby and that my ovaries ache.

He asked, "your ovaries ache because you want a baby?"

I told him yes, yes they do, and yes I do, and I want another baby!

He said if we were rich, I could have all the babies I wanted.

While that sounds just dandy, I think one more baby would be nice. Plus I know I could do everything way better and be less anxious about all kinds of stuff if I had another baby. No problem. I'm an expert now. Because now I know they do stop the constant crying and they do sleep all night and they will let you know they love you by bum rushing you and giving you hugs.

Ah, the smell of spit up and goopy poop calls me. Not to mention lack of sleep, waking up every 2 hours AND having a wild child known as Mr. Mateo driving me loopy with his banshee ways.

No comments: